OC METRO CALENDAR

  • April 2014
    SuMoTuWeThFrSa
    303112345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    27282930123
    45678910
Add an event

NONPROFIT FUNDRAISER
Untitled Page

Komen O.C. opens early registration for annual race

Breast cancer fundraiser returns to Orange County for 21st annual event

by Griffin RogersPublished: June 04, 2012 02:35 PM

The Costa Mesa-based Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced the opening of early registration for the Orange County Race for the Cure, a popular event used to spread awareness and increase support for the foundation focused on fighting breast cancer.

The 2012 Komen Race for the Cure will take place Sept. 23 at Fashion Island in Newport Beach and cost $30 if purchased before June 30, or $35 after. Participants who sign up for early registration will also receive a Race for the Cure T-shirt and race bib.

“So many individuals and families are affected by breast cancer,” said Marie Cammack, the 2012 Race for the Cure chair. “The Race aims to create a union among all under one common goal – saving lives from breast cancer. We encourage people to register early, start a team and fundraise now to fully participate in the Race for the Cure campaign this summer.”

New this year, the 5k race is offering an earlier start time of 7:15 a.m. for faster participants who prefer to run. Otherwise, participants can begin the race at 7:30 a.m. or 9:45 a.m. A one-mile ‘fun walk’ will also take place at 8 a.m.

Additionally, Race for the Cure will celebrate local survivors during the Breast Cancer Survivor Parade at 8:45 a.m. A Survivor Tribute will take place at 9 a.m. to those who have undergone the rigors of the disease and its treatment and have survived.

In previous years the event has experienced a significant amount of success. Last year’s race raised $2.9 million, with the proceeds going to support medical services for low-income women, breast cancer research and local breast health education and awareness programs.

“Each year, the Race for the Cure makes a significant impact to educate and inspire the Orange County community in the fight to end breast cancer forever,” said Lisa Wolter, executive director of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. “We are proud to be at the forefront in improving treatments and increasing breast cancer survivorship. The Race for the Cure is not only an important program to support vital and needed services, but also a beautiful way to honor all those affected by breast cancer.”

About one in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer. And in order to provide those in need with enough resources to obtain the right health care, the Komen foundation uses 75 percent of funds raised at the race to support local treatments and programs. The remaining 25 percent goes to the Komen Global Research Fund.

The 2012 Komen Race for the Cure is the official event of the 2012 California Women’s Conference; that event will take place Sept. 23 to 24 at the Long Beach Convention Center.


Related headlines
Komen OC prepares for 6th annual Pink Tie Ball
Komen Orange County to donate $1.5 million to local organizations

Standup for the Cure hopes to set new records